Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
Get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day by making green cupcakes with your class. All you need are some enthusiastic Home Economics students, some basic ingredients and some suitably St. Paddy’s Day-inspired creative decorating ideas. Yum!
- 110g/4oz butter (at room temperature)
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs, (lightly beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 140g/5oz butter (at room temperature)
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- a few drops of green food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole cupcake/bun tin with paper cases (make sure they are green!).
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until you get a smooth, pale consistency. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are only half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and gradually add in the milk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the green food colouring and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion to the cup cakes in a large swirl. You can also add some extra decorations to suit the occasion (e.g. pistachios, green smarties, shamrocks, passing leprechauns etc.)
If you want to get even more into the fun and frivolity of the festival, you could also make a scrapbook of your cupcake-making experiences by using the new free St. Patrick’s Day ‘Scrap Pad’ app.
To create the scrapbook, import images from your Photo Library, and then add frames, layouts, backgrounds, borders, silly objects, embellishments, and text to create as many pages as you like so you can remember your special day forever! Here’s one I made earlier…